Motor Vehicle Accidents


You may be entitled to make a claim for compensation if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident that was someone else’s fault.

When you register your motor vehicle, a percentage of your registration fee is a contribution toward the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance scheme. This insurance scheme exists to compensate injuries or death sustained by drivers, passengers, riders and pedestrians from another road user who has been negligent when operating a motor vehicle.

If the motor vehicle causing the personal injury or death cannot be identified, or is unregistered, then an injured person, or in the event of death, their next of kin, may still be entitled to advance a claim against an authorised CTP Insurer as delegated by the CTP Insurance Regulator. This may be applicable, for example, if somebody is injured in a hit and run accident.

The Lifetime Support Scheme is a no fault scheme and may apply if you are catastrophically injured (as defined by the Scheme). It provides ongoing payments for treatment, care and support regardless of who is at fault for the accident and in some cases where no driver is at fault.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, we recommend that you speak to a specialist personal injury lawyer to identify your entitlement to compensation and to protect your rights in the pursuit of such a claim.

Making a motor vehicle accident claim

Motor vehicle accidents can cause serious injury and loss and can have a significant impact upon your health and financial future. Sustaining such injuries can cause the injured person to incur substantial medical bills and treatment expenses, suffer financial distress due to an absence of work or a reduced income, and result in the injured person relying on family members and/or paid assistance to complete their activities of daily living.

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, it is important to notify the South Australia Police and collect as much information as possible. How you proceed with your motor vehicle accident claim will depend on the circumstances and the significance of your injuries. Strict time limits apply, and various legal processes  must be followed.

We recommend that you consult an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your motor vehicle accident to help with your claim and to help guide you through this process.

Our personal injury team has over 30 years’ experience in this complex area of law. We will:

  • listen to you and evaluate your claim and provide you with advice as to your entitlements to compensation;
  • explain the claims process and help you lodge a claim;
  • collect information to assist in the determination of liability, for example details of other vehicles involved, police reports and insurance details;
  • gather evidence to advance your claim for compensation, for example, expert reports, hospital records, receipts for medical expenses, medication, therapies, etc.;
  • contact and liaise with insurers and their lawyers;
  • review and advise you regarding any offers of settlement;
  • if relevant, recommend whether your claim should be pursued through Court proceedings, which in most cases, must be commenced within three years from the date of the injury.

If you have suffered an injury, whether in a motor vehicle accident, at your workplace or because of somebody else’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation.

We are one of Adelaide’s leading personal injury compensation firms with a track record for protecting our clients’ legal rights and maximising their entitlements to compensation.

If you need any assistance, contact one of our lawyers at [email protected] or call 08 8443 4888 for a no-obligation discussion and for expert legal advice.